2G Energy Inc., a subsidiary of 2G Energy AG in Germany, is a renowned CHP cogeneration specialist offering best-in-class cogeneration systems for natural and biogas in the 50 to 2,500 kW power range. 2G Energy offers efficient and reliable energy solutions with a unique standardized modular design and focus on making the highest quality product with outstanding service. With over 5,000 2G systems installed worldwide, they feel that their customers confirm the quality and performance of 2G products and build the basis for our international success.
The 2G Energy Inc. U.S headquarter was founded in 2009 in St. Augustine, Florida, and has steadily grown to now include manufacturing facilities.
Originally founded in 1995, 2G Energietechnik GmbH, is listed as a publicly traded company on the Entry Standard of the German Stock Exchange. The stock was originally launched with the name “2G Bio-Energietechnik AG” and was focused on the manufacturing of biogas cogeneration plants. Their strategic position has changed since then to now include the growing natural gas sector. To reflect this, the company changed its name to 2G Energy AG in 2011.
With 10 subsidiaries represented in 6 countries and over 580 employees worldwide, 2G Energy AG is a financially strong corporation with focus on future growth.
2G Energy believes that in the future, our power grid will not be made with a few large power plants, but with many small, decentralized Combined Heat & Power (CHP) systems.
Under the current model, where power generation comes from large power plants, only 33% of primary energy is turned into usable electricity. The other 67% are released into the atmosphere, unused. The energy is lost in heating separate boilers and while the electricity travels through the grid to reach its destination.
Combined Heat and Power systems are becoming increasingly important in the energy sector’s transformation to a decentralized, stable and sustainable power grid.
Combined heat and power (CHP) is an efficient and clean way of generating electric power and thermal energy from a single fuel source. The engine drives the generator, producing electricity, and the residual heat created during this process is recaptured and turned into useful heat for maintaining digester temperatures and other applications.
Two types of waste heat are produced by generating electricity. The first type is the heat that is recovered from the engine jacket water that is cooling the engine. Secondly heat from the exhaust gas is transferred via heat exchanger. This captured waste heat now can be used for heating, cooling or generating steam.
CHP systems are typically installed onsite, supplying customers with heat and power directly at the point of use, therefore helping avoid the significant losses which occur in transmitting electricity from large centralized plants to the customer.
2G Energy CHP systems can be employed over a wide range of sizes, applications, fuels and technologies.
Technology Strengths,Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
Anaerobic Digester Associated Technology:
NOTE: There are several technology types that are used as part of an integrated manure management system that includes an anaerobic digester and are not applicable to manure management in other cases. The impact of these technologies on the critical indicators are represented as those of an entire anaerobic digester system.
- Long usable life and can be run reliably
- Creates energy and generates environmental credits
- Requires proper preparation of the feedstock
- Requires other technologies for energy utilization
- Requires other technologies for digestate handling
- Proper feeding & system monitoring is required to avoid system downtime
- Proven technology for odor control, GHG reduction and pathogen reduction
2G Energy has a significant number of CHP systems installed on dairy digester facilities in North America. The systems are designed for high efficiency and as such require proper maintenance and attention to keep them operating consistently at these levels. This level of attention has proved to be an issue for some facilities.