Technology Strengths,Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
Ultra-Filtration (UF) Membrane Based Nutrient Removal technologies can be used to reduce both suspended and dissolved solids depending on location specific requirements:
- Produces low nutrient irrigation water and marketable products when paired with other technologies
- Always produce a stream leaving membrane and stream rejected by membrane
- Membranes of various size: Micro-filtration, Ultra-Filtration and Nano-Filtration each allowing various sized particles through the membrane
- Depending on the membrane, effective pre-treatment to remove coarse, fibrous solids as well as fine suspended solids are important to system viability and reliability
- Membrane failure and high pressure/energy costs can be a concern
- Proven technology for nitrogen recovery, phosphorous recovery, and pathogen reduction.
Newtrient has been in communication with BlueXgreen regarding development of its reactive filtration technology and BlueXgreen has indicated at this time that the technology is still in too early of pilot testing to warrant release of detailed information let alone commercialization or sales.
BlueXgreen has not been evaluated using Newtrient's 9-point scoring process because this technology is not yet commercially available.