The Centrisys decanter centrifuge is a technology which utilizes centrifugal force to separate solids away from the liquid in the manure slurry. The slurry is spun at high speeds within the centrifuge and the separated solids are extracted with a concentrically mounted scroll conveyor. Because the technology applies centrifugal force to the slurry, higher levels of solids and nutrient removal are achievable as compared with conventional (screen-based) manure separation methods.
Although Centrisys decanter centrifuges are used across a wide-array of industries, anywhere it is necessary to separate solids from liquid, the DT series decanter is a Centrisys product made specifically with manure processing in mind – with special considerations given to the abrasive and potentially variable nature of manure and manure systems.
Technology Strengths,Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
Centrifuge Technologies remove the non-dissolved particles from the waste stream typically resulting in a lower solid liquid that will not plug equipment or irrigation quality “tea water” depending on whether the technology is used with or without polymer:
- Produces a stackable solid which is high in phosphorus and with significant amounts of organic nitrogen.
- There is significant variation of energy use depending on the site and by technology
- There is significant variation of operational intensity depending on site, use of polymer, and by technology
- There is significant variation of cost depending on site, use of polymer, and by technology
- Can be used with or without polymer. Recovery rates and impact on critical indicators are better when used with polymer.
- Proven technology for nitrogen recovery, phosphorous recovery, storage reduction, GHG reduction, and odor control
Suspended solids/phosphorus recovery technologies:
- Produces a concentrated source of phosphorus from a renewable source
- Include belt presses, centrifuges, dissolved air flotation systems and others
- There is significant variation of chemical and energy use by site and by technology
- There is significant variation of operational intensity by site and by technology
- There is significant variation of cost by site and by technology
With over a dozen installations on large commercial dairy and livestock farms as well as co-digestion facilities dating back to 2009, Centrysis has demonstrated that they manufacture a quality centrifugal separator. Centrysis continues to invest R&D to enhance the centrifuge separator as well as develop line extensions to increase nutrient recovery from manure. Centrysis was also one of the companies to win the 2016 EPA Nutrient Challenge award
Centrysis has supplied Newtrient with data and client experiences from operating systems including solids and phosphorus recovery efficiency. Newtrient will continue to work with Centrysis to further refine the cost and performance information as more information comes in with both new installations and increased time of operation on existing dairies.