The Kore technology platform is appropriate for organic feedstocks that have a low moisture content (<20%.) In estimation, dairy manure that has been scraped and air dried would be an ideal feedstock for the Kore process. The process generates value from manure in three ways: the renewable hydrogen generated, the biochar produced, and the environmental credits available when the renewable hydrogen is used as a transportation fuel for the emerging fuel cell electric vehicle (FCEV) car, truck, and forklift market. Depending on local economic conditions, Kore may be able to generate a new significant revenue source comparable to revenue from milk sales for dairies that provide dried manure.
Kore’s solution overcomes environmental challenges faced by California’s ag industry by (1) producing a sustainable environmental and economic benefit from agricultural waste and (2) generating a sustainable revenue stream through the sale of cleaner-burning, renewable transportation fuels mandated and supported by California regulations — renewable natural gas (RNG) and hydrogen (RH2) — and a high-value soil amendment (biochar). Because of these significant environmental benefits and the low carbon intensity of Kore’s process, Kore’s RNG and RH2 sales also generate significant revenues from state and federal credits.
Kore is looking for partners in the agricultural industry that can provide a continuous stream of dry manure or other agricultural waste feedstock. In return, Kore will share the credit revenues generated from the sale of the transportation fuels produced.
Kore Infrastructure Pyrolysis
200 N. Sepulveda Blvd., Suite 340
El Segundo, CA 90245
Technology Strengths,Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
- May produce a soil amendment in the form of biochar or ash
- Biochar does not yet have an established, stable commercial market
- There is significant variation in energy use and recovery depending on feedstock
- There is significant variation of operational intensity by site and by technology, many technologies require pairing with other technologies to offer a comprehensive manure management solution
- There is significant variation of cost depending on site and by technology
- Proven technology for phosphorous recovery, storage reduction, GHG reduction, odor control and pathogen reduction
- This technology loses nitrogen to the atmosphere
Newtrient will continue to work with Kore to further refine the cost and performance information as more information becomes available and as new commercial dairy installations come on line.