Newtrient is working with vendors to develop accurate technology description [100-120 words]. Please provide us with a description of the technology referenced on this page. Please note that the page is technology specific and that this is the description of the specific technology not a general description of the company.
Technology Strengths,Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
Active Drying Technologies:
- Produce a marketable product, dry manure solids, and reduce transportation costs
- Require energy to reduce water content and dry manure solids, purchased energy cost are an issue
- Require operator attention in excess of other systems due to the risk of combustion
- Other compounds are released with the water (i.e. ammonia, hydrogen sulfide), and require additional treatment
- Potential loss of ammonia nitrogen due to volatilization
- Proven technology for storage reduction, odor control, GHG reduction and pathogen reduction
Evaporation and Drying Technologies:
- Uses heat to produce either manure with less water or dried manure solids
- Systems that reduce water in manure use a series of evaporators to sequentially evaporate water from liquid slurries—energy is supplied either by purchased fuel and/or waste heat from other processes
- Systems that dry separated solids use either a belt or drum to evaporate water from separated solids—energy is supplied either by purchased fuel, electricity and/or waste heat from other processes
- Chemicals are released with the water (i.e. ammonia, hydrogen sulfide), and this often requires additional treatment such as condensation of the water and/or scrubbing of the chemicals
- The requirement for purchased energy and costs are a significant concern leading to a tradeoff between input costs and gains in liquid concentration and transportation/market of by-products
Therma-Flite technology has not been evaluated using Newtrient's 9-point scoring process because this vendor is not seeking any additional dairy based projects. The information and photographs on this company and technology have been collected from public sources and has not been validated by the company at this time.