DVO is the U.S. market leader for AD and environmental engineering, providing reliable, proven solutions and services to industry and agriculture. Since 2001, DVO has installed over 100 of its patented Two Stage Linear VortexTM digesters across the nation, producing 80 MW of electricity. DVO also has expanded internationally, with installations in Canada, Chile, China, Serbia and South Korea. In addition, DVO’s Phosphorus and Nitrogen Recovery systems economically capture nutrients, allowing customers to safely and reliably remove nutrients from sensitive watersheds and transport them to land in need of these valuable natural fertilizers.
DVO’s Phosphorus Recovery (PR) step economically captures for re-use up to 95% of the phosphorus found in agricultural and industrial wastes – creating a nutrient-condensed, stackable solid product that can be sold and/or transported away from sensitive watersheds to land that really needs it. Significant amounts of nitrogen and micronutrients that are absent from long-depleted farmland are also recovered.
DVO’s “PR”, is a recent recipient of the U.S. EPA’s Nutrient Challenge Award, allows DVO to optionally and cost-effectively perform more aggressive waste treatment, even to the point of water-reuse. DVO solutions kill pathogens and minimize odors, recycle valuable nutrients, reduce greenhouse gas emissions and produce renewable energy 24/7 – while remaining highly robust, scalable, and providing a positive economic return.
- Chemical Flocculation
- Equipment Vendor
- Project Developer
- Concentrated Nutrients
Technology Strengths,Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
Chemical flocculation technologies remove the non-dissolved particles from the waste stream typically resulting in irrigation quality “tea water”:
- Produces a clay like cake which is high in phosphorus and with significant amounts of organic nitrogen.
- Technologies include belt presses, centrifuges, dissolved air flotation systems and others all of these technologies require flocculants to achieve high rates of solids removal
- There is significant variation of chemical and energy use depending on site and by technology
- There is significant variation of operational intensity depending on site and by technology
- There is significant variation of cost depending on site and by technology
- Proven technology for nitrogen recovery, phosphorous recovery, storage reduction, GHG reduction, and odor control
Suspended solids/phosphorus recovery technologies:
- Produces a concentrated source of phosphorus from a renewable source
- Include belt presses, centrifuges, dissolved air flotation systems and others
- There is significant variation of chemical and energy use by site and by technology
- There is significant variation of operational intensity by site and by technology
- There is significant variation of cost by site and by technology
DVO has invested years of R&D into modifications of traditional dissolved air flotation concepts for application to dairy manure and dairy manure digestate. Their resulting phosphorus recovery system is installed at commercial scale on multiple dairies, other animal farms and co-digestion facilities. While still relatively new to the market, DVO has supplied Newtrient with considerable data and client experiences with early results pointing to a successful and robust technology capable of meeting performance expectations in regard to solids, phosphorus, and nitrogen removal while producing a stackable product at a few cents per cow per day on most systems.
Newtrient will continue to work with DVO to further refine the cost and performance information as more information comes in with both new installations and increased time of operation.