Aries Clean Energy – Gasification
The Clean Alternative to Traditional Waste Disposal
About the Company:
Aries designs, develops, builds and operates proprietary gasification systems that provide environmentally friendly, sustainable solutions for biosolids conversion, biomass residue disposal, carbon emission reduction, and production of clean thermal/electrical energy and beneficial biochar.
Their facilities are industrial-grade and have been proven through thousands of hours of commercial use.
Their scalable systems are custom-designed and built to accommodate each customer’s specific needs. They also offer full management services, enabling continuous operation and maintenance on an ongoing basis.
There is no burning or incineration involved in their gasification systems. The high-temperature process is thermo-chemical in nature, with a consistent output of two compounds – synthetic fuel gas, or producer gas, that can be utilized for clean combustion in downstream operations, and high-carbon biochar or beneficial Bio-Fly-Ash™.
About the Solution:
Older renewable energy systems, such as mass burning incineration, produce high levels of emissions that must be constantly monitored and expensively cleaned, along with waste ash that is generally landfilled as useless material. There is no burning or incineration involved in Aries gasification systems. The high-temperature process is thermo-chemical in nature, with a consistent output of two compounds – synthetic fuel gas, or producer gas, that can be utilized for clean combustion in downstream operations, and high-carbon biochar or beneficial Bio-Fly-Ash™.
Solution Strengths, Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
- Produces a soil amendment in the form of biochar
- Biochar does not yet have an established, stable commercial market
- There is significant variation in energy use and recovery depending on feedstock
- There is significant variation of operational intensity by site and by technology, many technologies require pairing with other technologies to offer a comprehensive manure management solution
- There is significant variation of cost depending on site and by technology
- Proven technology for phosphorous recovery, storage reduction, GHG reduction, odor control and pathogen reduction
- This technology loses nitrogen to the atmosphere
Aries Clean Energy has recently been added to the technology catalog, Newtrient will continue to work with them to further refine the cost and performance information, publishing it and updating the 9-Point score as information becomes available and as new commercial dairy installations come online.
1. OPERATIONAL HISTORY