Blue Water Technologies – Dissolved Air Floatation
Eco DAF™ - Dissolved Air Flotation (DAF)
About the Company:
Blue Water has built a platform of proprietary, complimentary products for emerging water treatment markets. With more than 300 installations around the world, our focus is the wastewater marketplace for primary treatment, filtration, and nutrient removal in both municipal and industrial settings. Blue Water continues to develop new technology, expand into international markets, and develop cost-effective solutions for sustainable water re-use and waste-to-energy.
About the Solution:
Blue Water provides the Eco DAF™ process as an effective and efficient solution to the challenges burdening industrial dischargers. The Eco DAF™ system reduces production costs by integrating the most advanced and innovative techniques for internal recycle and dissolution of air, saving money on power, chemical, and other discharge compliance costs. This new generation of DAF technology utilizes regenerative turbine pumps in the recycle stream to form a distribution of micro air bubbles ranging from 10-30 µm. Conventional systems operate with a typical bubble size of 100-200 µm, often resulting in sheared floc, higher chemical usage, and lowered efficiency. The innovative Eco DAF™ design facilitates the most effective removal of suspended solids, phosphorus, oils and greases, and other impurities from water slurries.
Solution Strengths, Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
Chemical flocculation technologies remove the non-dissolved particles from the waste stream typically resulting in irrigation quality “tea water”:
- Produces a clay like cake which is high in phosphorus and with significant amounts of organic nitrogen.
- Supported technologies include belt presses, centrifuges, dissolved air flotation systems and others; all requiring flocculants to achieve high rates of solids removal
- There is significant variation of chemical and energy use depending on site and by technology
- There is significant variation of operational intensity depending on site and by technology
- There is significant variation of cost depending on site and by technology
- Proven technology for nitrogen recovery, phosphorous recovery, storage reduction, GHG reduction, and odor control
Suspended solids/phosphorus recovery technologies:
- Produces a concentrated source of phosphorus from a renewable source
- Include belt presses, centrifuges, dissolved air flotation systems and others
- There is significant variation of chemical and energy use by site and by technology
- There is significant variation of operational intensity by site and by technology
- There is significant variation of cost by site and by technology
1. OPERATIONAL HISTORY