Cambi THP – Thermal Hydrolysis Process
Cambi is a leading provider of technology for the conversion of sludge to renewable energy and high-quality biosolids. The company was originally founded in 1989. Today Cambi has more than 125 employees and is represented with offices in 9 different countries. With 58 plants worldwide committed to the CambiTHP™ process, and 21 countries adopting our technologies, Cambi serves more than 53 million people around the globe.
Cambi’s patented Thermal Hydrolysis Process (CambiTHP™) is a proven and reliable technology that has been used around the world since 1995. CambiTHP™ has been implemented in existing and “green field” projects designed to reduce disposal quantities and the cost of building and operating digesters. The process system is build as a plug and play module that is compatible with small, medium and large scale waste water treatment plants.
CambiTHP™ is a high-pressure steam pre-treatment for anaerobic digestion. Applying CambiTHP™ technology results in:
- 2-3 times increased digester loading
- Increased biogas production
- Pathogen-free and stabilized biosolids product with increased cake dewatering
The production and quality of the resultant bio solids save transport and energy costs as well - the end product can be applied directly to agricultural processes or composted or dried for use as fertilizer or bio-fuel. In addition to optimizing energy-efficiency and lowering operating costs, CambiTHP™ also eliminates odor problems associated with the treatment of organic materials.
CambiTHP™ can be combined with co-generation plants, which produce green electricity and provide hot steam for the Thermal Hydrolysis Process. Resultant biogas can also be cleaned for use as vehicle fuel or as a replacement for natural gas.
Cambi offers a variety of products and services from our core CambiTHP™ technology to complete turnkey digestion plants. Cambi also possess the skills and expertise to oversee plant operations and maintenance. CambiTHP™ enhanced sludge treatment maximises both flexibility and profitability.CambiTHP™ ADVANTAGES
- Increased sludge bio-degradability and therefore more biogas production.
- Significant sludge cake volume reduction.
- Higher digestion rate and 8 – 12% dry solids feed to digestion increases digester capacity two to three times.
- Stable and reliable digester operation.
- Highly energy-efficient process.
- Eliminates foaming problems caused by filamentous bacteria (Nocardia, etc).
- Sludge dewatering improved up to 40% dry solids.
- Pasteurized cake: Guarantee of pathogen kill (class A bio solids) with no regrowth or reactivation of bacteria.
- Proven process: CambiTHP™ has been used in projects around the world since being launched in 1995 to reduce both disposal quantities and the cost of building and operating digesters.
Technology Strengths, Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
- May produce a salable product in the form of hydrochar, a product similar to biochar
- Hydrochar does not yet have an established, stable commercial market in the United States
- There is variation of operational intensity by site and by technology, many technologies require pairing with other technologies to offer a comprehensive manure management solution
- There is significant variation of cost depending on site and by technology
- Proven technology for phosphorous recovery, storage reduction, GHG reduction, odor control and pathogen reduction but not widely adopted
- This technology may lose nitrogen to the atmosphere
Newtrient is working with Cambi to validate the information in this catalog entry and understand it's role in the dairy industry.
1. OPERATIONAL HISTORY