Caterpillar – Biogas Engines
Renewing our Strengths... Shaping our Future
About the Company:
For more than 85 years Caterpillar has been providing power to customers like you around the world. From North America to China, Europe to India, in remote regions and extreme climates, Caterpillar is meeting the most critical needs and matching the most stringent standards. Caterpillar is powering the industries that drive economy: agriculture, forestry, mining, drilling, construction, production, well servicing, gas compression and power production. Caterpillar is moving the vessels, yachts and ships that voyage to the farthest coasts. Caterpillar is powering the data centers businesses count on and hospitals that communities rely on. From 5 to 16,000 kW Cat® Power Systems are equipped to do more than just power today; they’re built to power tomorrow.
About the Solution:
Caterpillar's gas generator sets are made to run on your most abundant gas sources with fuel flexible options. Caterpillar is engineered for high efficiency, low life cycle costs and for Caterpillar products to meet most global emissions specifications. Ranging from 20 to 9700 ekW, with customizable options to match your power needs, Caterpillar's gas generator sets are easy to select, permit and install. Power the possibilities of your world with world-class power. Tailored designs for natural gas, biogas, coal gas, and alternative fuels. New engine technologies deliver power, heat, or cogeneration with world class electrical and thermally efficiency. Factory-sourced containers, heat recovery modules, and control systems. Optimized for operation in parallel or disconnected from a primary electric utility.
Solution Strengths, Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
Anaerobic Digester Associated Technology:
NOTE: There are several technology types that are used as part of an integrated manure management system that includes an anaerobic digester and are not applicable to manure management in other cases. The impact of these technologies on the critical indicators are represented as those of an entire anaerobic digester system.
- Long usable life and can be run reliably
- Creates energy and generates environmental credits
- Requires proper preparation of the feedstock
- Requires other technologies for energy utilization
- Requires other technologies for digestate handling
- Proper feeding & system monitoring is required to avoid system downtime
- Proven technology for odor control, GHG reduction and pathogen reduction
- Produce electricity for on-site use and sale to the grid with a Utility Power Purchase Agreement (PPA)
- Produce heat which is used on site to increase digester influent to proper temperature
- Proven technology for use with biogas
- Require scrubbing of hydrogen sulfide from biogas for best performance
- Require regular maintenance and monitoring
- Require specialized safety equipment
- Require a utility interconnect if power is sold to the grid
1. OPERATIONAL HISTORY