CharTech Solutions – Pyrolysis
a subsidiary of CHAR Technologies Ltd.
About the Company:
Established in 1986 as Altech Technology Systems, CharTech Solutions is a Toronto-based Cleantech company committed to developing and deploying cost-effective, environmentally-sustainable products and solutions to solve environmental and energy challenges, while delivering measurable value to their clients.
CharTech Solutions is continually challenging the boundaries of technology to discover innovative, customized solutions in areas such as pollution prevention, waste minimization and water recycling.
CharTech Solutions ultimate goal is to create innovations that significantly improve the environment and save money for their clients.
About the Solution:
CharTech Solutions’ proprietary High Temperature Pyrolysis (HTP) technology transforms challenging organic waste streams (biomass, biosolids, digestate) into three renewable and valuable outputs by heating the materials at high temperatures in the absence of oxygen.
- Renewable Energy - The HTP process converts a portion of the organic feedstock into a high-calorific value and hydrogen-rich syngas. This syngas can be applied in a variety of ways; offsetting natural gas consumption for industrial processes, as well as the generation of power, green hydrogen, and Renewable Natural Gas (RNG).
- Carbon Negative - The HTP process is autothermic, creates its own energy, and therefore does not need external heat sources. Excess energy is generated from the process, resulting in a carbon negative process for organic waste streams.
- Biocarbon Products - The remaining solids after the HTP process are converted into a solid carbon product called biocarbon. It can be used as a Biochar fertilizer and soil amendment product that improves soil health and sequesters carbon (qualifying for carbon credits), as a pollutant filter (activated charcoal, SulfaCHARTM), and as a biocoal product (CleanFyreTM). Biocarbons can offset the use of resource intensive alternatives, and fixes carbon long-term in a stable form. When used as a biocoal (CleanFyreTM) to offset fossil coal used in industrial processes, CleanFyreTM drastically reduces GHG emissions – ideal for decarbonizing large industries including steel and cement.
Solution Strengths, Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
- May produce a soil amendment in the form of biochar or ash
- Biochar does not yet have an established, stable commercial market
- There is significant variation in energy use and recovery depending on feedstock
- There is significant variation of operational intensity by site and by technology, many technologies require pairing with other technologies to offer a comprehensive manure management solution
- There is significant variation of cost depending on site and by technology
- Proven technology for phosphorous recovery, storage reduction, GHG reduction, odor control and pathogen reduction
- This technology loses nitrogen to the atmosphere
CharTech Solutions has recently been added to the technology catalog. Newtrient will continue to work with CharTech Solutions to further refine the cost and performance information, publishing it and updating the 9-Point score as information becomes available and as new commercial dairy installations come online.
1. OPERATIONAL HISTORY