Daritech, Inc. – Sand Separation
Cows • Land • Passion
About the Company:
DariTech was founded in 1990 and has grown to be a top to bottom dairy service and supply company worldwide. Taking what we’ve learned in the field, DariTech’s design team has developed a diversified product line that meets the needs of today’s modern dairies. DariTech’s ability to design and manufacture DariTech’s own components lets us personally ensure the quality of each product. DariTech’s equipment is built to be durable and functional not only today, but also for years to come. DariTech’s goal is to provide every customer with a long-term value for their investment.
About the Solution:
DariTech provides the most complete line of sand separation and process equipment in the industry. We strive to provide economical equipment with high efficiency and low maintenance. Along with our choice of separators and augers, we offer our DT360 separators with our unique hybrid screen. The DT360 provides high quality process water and high fiber capture, giving the dairymen clean sand, clean fiber, and clean lagoons.
Solution Strengths, Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
- Used on Vacuumed/scraped manure and manure slurries with limited water addition
- Economics can be attractive depending on post-treatment and sand price
- Dairies that use sand for bedding believe that the sand improves the comfort and productivity of the milking herd
- Removal of sand particles can save significant wear in down-stream equipment
- Reusing sand form a separator for bedding can reduce farms total bedding costs
- Can increase manure volume based on the amount and source of water used for dilution
- Reused sand must be handled properly to ensure that pathogens and moisture are not reintroduced into the barn
Bedding Recovery Systems:
- Conditions coarse manure fiber to improve the bedding characteristics.
- Most utilize in-vessel composter technology
- Provides bacterial kill and material drying
- Recovered manure solids require more bedding management than other high quality bedding materials
Sand settles in the sump while manure water and organic solids along with the dilution water exit the sump over a weir into a discharge pipe. Separated sand is removed from the sump using an inclined auger and discharged into a pile where residual water leaches way from the stockpile. SMS systems are low flow systems; therefore, they operate many hours of the day on most farms. Concrete sand (ASTM-33) is readily removed from manure and is a great sand for cows to rest on.
Newtrient will continue to work with DariTech to further refine the cost and performance information as more information comes in with new commercial dairy installations.
1. OPERATIONAL HISTORY