DTE Biomass Energy – Biogas Projects
Strengthening Communities and the Economy With Renewable Energy
About the Company:
Founded in 1988, DTE Biomass Energy is dedicated to creating and implementing landfill gas to energy programs. As a subsidiary of DTE Energy, one of the largest and most trusted utility companies in the nation, we deliver industry-leading capital resources, infrastructure and comprehensive understanding to every project. To ensure success, we offer complete end-to-end service, including landfill assessment and wellfield operations, renewable natural gas, direct landfill gas use, and power generation projects.
About the Solution:
There are numerous factors that influence the potential of a renewable energy project. That’s why DTE Biomass Energy tailors the production and processes to each biogas project’s unique characteristics.
Project Assessment Whether it’s a landfill gas or agricultural project, DTE Biomass' experts assess the project's potential as well as the best use of the biogas gas to determine the most profitable biogas gas-to-energy option.
Energy End UseBiogas gas can be utilized in a variety of ways, and DTE Biomass Energy can determine the best one for the market. Options include generating electricity, replacing fossil fuels in industrial and manufacturing operations, or refining to pipeline quality gas.
Complete Project Assistance DTE Biomass Energy creates a total game plan for a biogas project — design, engineering, construction, ownership, operation — to meet the needs of the landfill or agricultural operation and maximize total value.
Solution Strengths, Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
- Long usable life and can be run reliably
- Creates energy and generates environmental credits
- Proper feeding & system monitoring is required to avoid system downtime
- Proven technology for odor control
- Proven technology for GHG reduction
- Proven technology for pathogen reduction
- Different types of systems produce varying gas production rates
- Requires proper preparation of the feedstock
- Requires other technologies for energy utilization
- Requires other technologies for digestate handling
- Requires other technologies to prevent nitrogen loss
- Complex systems may require expertise not available on-farm
DTE Biomass Energy is currently involved in the development of a dairy based renewable natural gas project in Wisconsin.
Newtrient will continue to work with DTE Biomass Energy to develop information on their dairy based projects and will to develop their 9-Point score.
1. OPERATIONAL HISTORY