Kore Infrastructure – Pyrolysis
Strategic solutions for a carbon negative, zero waste future.
About the Company:
Kore’s mission is to commercialize an innovative solution that will rebalance profit and planet by unlocking the energy in what humanity discards. To accomplish this Kore produces 100% renewable energy from organic waste using a closed-loop, carbon-negative process. Kore’s carbon-negative pyrolysis process offers businesses an environmentally and economically sustainable way to convert organic waste into renewable energy. This means more incentives to decarbonize, fewer landfills and incinerators, permanent carbon sequestration, and measurable environmental impact in our lifetime. At Kore, they believe we have the power to change where our energy comes from.
About the Solution:
Kore’s solution overcomes environmental challenges faced by California’s ag industry by (1) producing a sustainable environmental and economic benefit from agricultural waste and (2) generating a sustainable revenue stream through the sale of cleaner-burning, renewable transportation fuels mandated and supported by California regulations — renewable natural gas (RNG) and hydrogen (RH2) — and a high-value soil amendment (biochar). Because of these significant environmental benefits and the low carbon intensity of Kore’s process, Kore’s RNG and RH2 sales also generate significant revenues from state and federal credits.
Kore is looking for partners in the agricultural industry that can provide a continuous stream of dry manure or other agricultural waste feedstock. In return, Kore will share the credit revenues generated from the sale of the transportation fuels produced.
Solution Strengths, Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
- May produce a soil amendment in the form of biochar or ash
- Biochar does not yet have an established, stable commercial market
- There is significant variation in energy use and recovery depending on feedstock
- There is significant variation of operational intensity by site and by technology, many technologies require pairing with other technologies to offer a comprehensive manure management solution
- There is significant variation of cost depending on site and by technology
- Proven technology for phosphorous recovery, storage reduction, GHG reduction, odor control and pathogen reduction
- This technology loses nitrogen to the atmosphere
Newtrient will continue to work with Kore to further refine the cost and performance information as more information becomes available and as new commercial dairy installations come on line.
1. OPERATIONAL HISTORY