Martin Energy Group – Biolectric Anaerobic Digesters
Small-Scale Anaerobic Digesters
About the Company:
Biogas is the only way of producing durable energy that offers us the possibility to match supply with demand. Then how is it that the world is not filled with biogas installations?
The idea of Biolectric originated in 2009 with the answer to that question. After building a proof-of-concept installation in 2011, Philippe Jans – reinforced by the steady investor he found in the family Westerlund (Taste Invest) and together with Jan Palmaers and Jonathan Schrauwen – established Biolectric.
In the following three years, various technical innovations (some of which now patented) caused reliability to increase significantly and labour for the end customer to reduce dramatically.
Today the product is mature and with representation in about a dozen countries, Biolectric successfully spreads its international wings.
About the Solution:
On a farm with 80 cows the yearly CH₄ emission of manure is equal to the CO₂ equivalent of 110 ton per year (that’s about 110 cars on the road).
By placing a Biolectric biogas installation on your farm this waste and its CH₄ emission are converted into green energy and heat, which can be used on the farm. The residual manure can be used as fertiliser.
The Biolectric biogas installation daily pumps a fixed quantity of manure from the reactor to the digestate storage and repletes the discharged volume with fresh manure from the manure pit. This process is fully automated and is done under supervision.
Biogas is formed in the reactor through anaerobic fermentation. The gas is then purified and in the combustion engine it converts to green energy. This energy can be used on the farm in the form of electricity and heat.
Solution Strengths, Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
- Long usable life and can be run reliably
- Creates energy and generates environmental credits
- Proper feeding & system monitoring is required to avoid system downtime
- Proven technology for odor control
- Proven technology for GHG reduction
- Proven technology for pathogen reduction
- Different types of systems produce varying gas production rates
- Requires proper preparation of the feedstock
- Requires other technologies for energy utilization
- Requires other technologies for digestate handling
- Requires other technologies to prevent nitrogen loss
- Complex systems may require expertise not available on-farm
Biolectric has not been evaluated using Newtrient's 9-point scoring process because this solution is not currently deployed in the U.S.
1. OPERATIONAL HISTORY