Mead & Hunt – Anaerobic Digestion
About the Company:
Mead & Hunt is a national, full-service architectural and engineering firm that has been serving markets for well over a century. The firm was established by hydroelectric and hydraulic engineer Daniel Mead in 1900. Since its founding, Mead & Hunt has grown significantly. The growth of the company has mirrored the changing markets of the country—as infrastructure needs expanded, so did they. Today, the firm provides services nationwide and employs 900 people.
About the Solution:
Biogas can be a valuable commodity if you have the right systems in place. Mead & Hunt can help you design and construct anaerobic digestion systems that make beneficial use of biogas. Their turnkey systems remove impurities to generate renewable natural gas (RNG), a pipeline-quality gas that is fully interchangeable with fossil natural gas. They strive to have an unbiased approach to technology so that your system is built with the optimal design.
Solution Strengths, Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
- Long usable life and can be run reliably
- Creates energy and generates environmental credits
- Proper feeding & system monitoring is required to avoid system downtime
- Proven technology for odor control
- Proven technology for GHG reduction
- Proven technology for pathogen reduction
- Different types of systems produce varying gas production rates
- Requires proper preparation of the feedstock
- Requires other technologies for energy utilization
- Requires other technologies for digestate handling
- Requires other technologies to prevent nitrogen loss
- Complex systems may require expertise not available on-farm
Mead & Hunt has recently been added to the Newtrient catalog. Newtrient will continue to work with Mead & Hunt to further refine the cost and performance information on their solution. Newtrient will update this entry as more information becomes available and as new commercial dairy installations come online.
1. OPERATIONAL HISTORY