MTR – Gas Upgrading System
Since its beginnings in 1982, MTR has grown continuously as industry embraced membranes as an effective gas separation technology. After MTR sold its first commercial system to the petrochemical industry in 1992, the portfolio of applications expanded quickly. MTR now provides a full range of gas separation solutions for petrochemical plants, refineries, and gas processing facilities. Systems for these demanding applications need to be effective, economical, reliable, and safe; and must conform to industry standards. MTR’s systems are based not only on state-of-the-art membrane know-how — they are also custom engineered to fit the application and the industry. MTR’s administrative, research, and manufacturing facilities are located in Newark, California. The company has sales offices in Houston, Texas and Brussels, Belgium and sales agents worldwide. As part of the gas processing product lines, MTR provides complete membrane based systems for CO2 removal from Biogas to allow production of pipeline quality RNG from Dairy Operations.
Chemical process and Natural gas industries often produce low-pressure gas streams containing hydrogen, methane, ethane, and other light hydrocarbons. MTR’s proprietary technologies are used for cleaning up the raw gas and producing gases which can be used as fuel or sold to the pipeline.
Technology Strengths, Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
Anaerobic Digester Associated Technology:
NOTE: There are several technology types that are used as part of an integrated manure management system that includes an anaerobic digester and are not applicable to manure management in other cases. The impact of these technologies on the critical indicators are represented as those of an entire anaerobic digester system.
- Long usable life and can be run reliably
- Creates energy and generates environmental credits
- Requires proper preparation of the feedstock
- Requires other technologies for energy utilization
- Requires other technologies for digestate handling
- Proper feeding & system monitoring is required to avoid system downtime
- Proven technology for odor control, GHG reduction and pathogen reduction
Biogas upgrading technology:
- Produces renewable natural gas (RNG) by removing carbon dioxide, hydrogen sulfide, nitrogen, oxygen and water vapor from biogas
- Includes technologies such as membrane separation, pressure swing absorption and water scrubbing
- Used to treat biogas from an anaerobic digester
- Most systems are technically complex
- Interconnection to the national gas infrastructure typically requires large systems and proximity to large volume gas lines
1. OPERATIONAL HISTORY