New Sky – Hydrogen Sulfide Removal
New Sky Energy is an award-winning clean chemistry company based in Boulder Colorado. Our technologies focus on removal of hydrogen sulfide and CO2 from sour biogas and natural gas streams. New Sky designs, develops, and manufactures SulfurCycle equipment and chemicals for municipal and industrial desulfurization of natural and biogas streams.
New Sky’s SulfurCycle process is the most sustainable and cost effective way to control hydrogen sulfide inside anaerobic digesters or biogas streams. SulfurCycle uses a water based, non-toxic suspension of metal oxide particles to capture and convert H2S into elemental sulfur. The H2S capture agent is regenerated in situ simply by blowing air through spent media, which converts captured sulfide into elemental sulfur. Media can be reused up to 30 times; significantly reducing chemical purchasing and waste disposal costs relative to conventional single use scavengers.
By recirculating treated gas to digesters operators can control H2S levels inside digesters by treating biogas outside digesters. This dramatically reduces the need to use iron salts or other chemical additives for H2S control.
New Sky’s Sulfur Cycle Processes (SulfurCycle and SulfurCycle E) are energy efficient gas sweetening technologies that scrub H2S (and CO2, by SulfurCycle E) from sour natural gas, bio-methane and other gas streams. SulfurCycle is a breakthrough, ultra low cost H2S control technology that is currently deployed in the oil & gas and biogas industries, and in trials for deployment for landfill gas.
- lowest cost, most sustainable gas sweetening technology
- onsite regeneration of capture agent reduces operating costs by 90% relative to conventional H2S scavengers
- enables dramatic reduction in use of metal salts in anaerobic digesters
- simple scrubbers reduce capital costs by 8-12x relative to biological and catalytic H2S control technologies
- converts H2S to pure elemental sulfur
Technology Strengths, Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
Anaerobic Digester Associated Technology:
NOTE: There are several technology types that are used as part of an integrated manure management system that includes an anaerobic digester and are not applicable to manure management in other cases. The impact of these technologies on the critical indicators are represented as those of an entire anaerobic digester system.
- Long usable life and can be run reliably
- Creates energy and generates environmental credits
- Requires proper preparation of the feedstock
- Requires other technologies for energy utilization
- Requires other technologies for digestate handling
- Proper feeding & system monitoring is required to avoid system downtime
- Proven technology for odor control, GHG reduction and pathogen reduction
New Sky SulferCycle technology has not been evaluated using Newtrient's 9-point scoring process because, although their process appears to be suited for use on dairy manure digesters, Newtrient is not aware of any current dairy based projects.
1. OPERATIONAL HISTORY