Nth Consulting – DeltaProbe Seepage Meter
Infrastructure Engineering & Environmental Services
About the Company:
NTH Consultants, Ltd. (NTH) are experts in geotechnical, environmental, & facilities engineering. They have been providing professional engineering consulting services to the energy, urban renewal, water resources and infrastructure markets since 1968. From a small, Detroit-based, geotechnical engineering firm, this company has grown significantly providing a wide range of services in geotechnical engineering, environmental engineering, and facilities engineering.
About the Solution:
Performance Assessment of Environmental Containment Structures
The NTH-Abletech team offers a formal program to evaluate overall hydrologic performance of impoundments, lagoons, open tanks, pits, ponds, and other liquid storage facilities for compliance with regulatory limits (e.g., NRCS Standard 313 and Michigan Part 22 rules). This program is applicable to a range of industries, including: agriculture, wastewater treatment, power generation, mining, oil and gas, waste management, and water supply.
Their systematic approach involves the following simple elements:
- Site Characterization - review of available information for understanding of existing hydrologic conditions
- Test Planning - coordination with owner and staff to reduce risk and uncertainty, and minimize operational disruptions
- Test Control - Cease outflows/inflows; mow embankments; test during calm, dry conditions
- Computation of Results - seepage equals water level change minus evaporation, with known accuracy
- Summary Report - by a professional engineer, documents a quality-assured test with known accuracy.
The DeltaProbeTM system reduces time, cost, and risk. Specifically, this approach:
Solution Strengths, Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
Consultants, Developers & Service Providers:
- Can be an integral part of a project team
- Generally used to provide specific expertise or to reduce the responsibility or risk
- Most projects have at least some Consultants, Developers and Service Providers
- Consultants are generally hired to oversee or advise in a specific area of expertise
- Developers usually are responsible for the entire project
- Service Providers typically provide services in a particular area of expertise
- No Consultant, Developer or Service Provider can make a bad project successful
A standard procedure for rapid direct testing of animal waste storage ponds has been approved by the Michigan Agricultural Environmental Assurance Program (MAEAP). The concepts and methods of this procedure also may apply to measurement of overall hydraulic performance of other environmental containment structures in general industry including impoundments, lagoons, open tanks, pits and similar reservoirs. Emerging technologies provide significant improvements to these measurements.
The Nth Consulting DeltaProbe Seepage Meter System is an example of one such system which measures water level displacement on the order of 0.01 mm. This sensitivity allows for significant measurement of seepage and evaporation over a single night. The procedure also provides for methodical assessment of measurement accuracy. The procedure and related technologies have potential to compliment or replace other evaluation methods like inspection and invasive testing of containment structures in agriculture, wastewater treatment, power generation, mining, oil and gas, and water supply.
Newtrient will continue to work with Nth Consulting to further refine the cost and performance information as more information becomes available.
1. OPERATIONAL HISTORY