Symbiont, a Mead & Hunt Company – Renewable Natural Gas Engineering and Construction
Bringing sustainability across the US
About the Company:
Symbiont Science, Engineering and Construction, Inc. is a nationally recognized full-service engineering, design-build, construction firm. Founded in 1981, they utilize innovative engineering technologies that optimize environmental and sustainability goals to enhance communities and the world.
Their diverse team includes civil, environmental, chemical, mechanical, structural, electrical, and controls engineers as well as hydrogeologists, construction project managers, environmental compliance specialists, GIS analysts, and technicians. Through the application of innovative design principles and specialized engineering, they plan, design, and construct engineered solutions that bring value to clients, advance their operations, and protect the natural environment.
About the Solution:
Symbiont works with manufacturing facilities on biogas, an alternative and renewable fuel. Anaerobic treatment of high strength industrial waste and municipal biosolids is a proven biological treatment process, which generates biogas.
Utilizing biogas is as a fuel in boilers is one of the many common applications for this fuel. Internal combustion engines, micro turbines, and fuel cells are designed to transform biogas into power. Biogas can also be compressed for use in vehicle fuel as CNG. Symbiont can formulate an impressive engineering plan to use this innovative method to your plant.
- Improve digester methane production
- Increase energy recovery/reduced operating costs
- Streamline biosolids system operation
- Generate revenue from local high strength waste sources
- Achieve sustainable goals
- Apply “Green” funding and tax incentives
Solution Strengths, Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
- Long usable life and can be run reliably
- Creates energy and generates environmental credits
- Proper feeding & system monitoring is required to avoid system downtime
- Proven technology for odor control
- Proven technology for GHG reduction
- Proven technology for pathogen reduction
- Different types of systems produce varying gas production rates
- Requires proper preparation of the feedstock
- Requires other technologies for energy utilization
- Requires other technologies for digestate handling
- Requires other technologies to prevent nitrogen loss
- Complex systems may require expertise not available on-farm
Symbiont has recently been added to the solutions catalog, Newtrient will continue to work with them to further refine the cost and performance information, publishing it and updating the 9-Point score as information becomes available and as new commercial dairy installations come online.
1. OPERATIONAL HISTORY