WELTEC BIOPOWER – Anaerobic Digestion
WELTEC BIOPOWER GmbH is one of the world’s leading enterprises in the field of stainless-steel biogas plant construction. The company has planned, developed and built anaerobic digestion plants since 2001. Today, the medium-sized company has about 80 employees at the headquarters in Vechta, Germany, and has established more than 300 energy plants in 25 countries worldwide. The global distribution and service network spans six continents. The range of customers includes businesses from the agriculture, food, waste and wastewater industries.
The strength of WELTEC BIOPOWER lies in custom-tailored design and technically mature solutions for projects up to 10 megawatt capacity. In this context, the high proportion of internally developed components is a key success factor. The company also owes its leading edge to the use of stainless steel. This enables the input of a diverse range of feedstocks, a fast and economic assembly and a consistently high quality standard ‒ regardless of the location.Through their multi-stage system process, the solid matter is separated from water. The result: About 50 percent clear water, approximately 25 percent solid matter and about 25 percent liquid nutrient concentrate. This technology has been in continuous use for several years and is successfully applied at about 15 locations with intensive livestock breeding or large biogas plants. One key benefit of the solution – which is already well established in the Netherlands and Belgium – is the high technical plant availability. The scalable modular system can be used from an amount of 50,000t/year. If processing needs are higher, a combination of several processing lines can easily be implemented. WELTEC's engineers are constantly working on new developments for biogas plants. With their knowledge, they make a valuable contribution to the future and the continuous optimization of biogas plants.
Technology Strengths, Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
- Long usable life and can be run reliably
- Creates energy and generates environmental credits
- Proper feeding & system monitoring is required to avoid system downtime
- Proven technology for odor control
- Proven technology for GHG reduction
- Proven technology for pathogen reduction
- Different types of systems produce varying gas production rates
- Requires proper preparation of the feedstock
- Requires other technologies for energy utilization
- Requires other technologies for digestate handling
- Requires other technologies to prevent nitrogen loss
- Complex systems may require expertise not available on-farm
WELTEC BIOPOWER has recently been added to the Newtrient catalog. Newtrient will continue to work with WELTEC BIOPOWER to further refine the cost and performance information as they look to do projects in the U.S. market and more information becomes available.
1. OPERATIONAL HISTORY