Ag-Grid Energy – Aerobic Digester
Agricultural & Organic Waste into Renewable Energy
Ag-Grid Energy has a vision to convert agricultural and organic waste into renewable energy, compost and support local area practices that lead us towards a sustainable environment. Ag-Grid Energy intends to finance, build, own (jointly), operate the waste to energy conversion facilities in US.
As the world has become increasingly concerned with the environment, the federal government, more specifically, the Environmental Protection Agency, has cracked down on farmers, creating stricter regulations regarding environmental impacts.Among these are the management of water runoff and air pollution, i.e. the release of greenhouse gases. Such regulations put tremendous pressure on existing farming practices. Ag-Grid Energy can help farmers with enhanced water and manure management. Using the proven technology of anaerobic digestion, they hope to bring about change in the farming community by: 1) constructing an anaerobic digester on-site or nearby 2) generating electricity to be given back to the farm at no cost 3) providing a solid digestate material to be used as animal bedding 4) supplying a liquid digestate to be used as fertilizer on the farm. Through the use of Anaerobic Digestion, Ag-Grid Energy also provides a beneficial alternative to land-filling/incineration by taking away the excess food waste from large food waste producers in accordance with the Commercial Food Waste Disposal Ban and plan use the nearly 2.1 million tons of heavily-organic spent mushroom substrate (SMS) produced annually around Kennett Square, PA as a feedstock as well.
Technology Strengths, Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
- Long usable life and can be run reliably
- Creates energy and generates environmental credits
- Proper feeding & system monitoring is required to avoid system downtime
- Proven technology for odor control
- Proven technology for GHG reduction
- Proven technology for pathogen reduction
- Different types of systems produce varying gas production rates
- Requires proper preparation of the feedstock
- Requires other technologies for energy utilization
- Requires other technologies for digestate handling
- Requires other technologies to prevent nitrogen loss
- Complex systems may require expertise not available on-farm
Newtrient will continue to work with AG-Grid Energy to further refine the cost and performance information as more information becomes available and as new commercial dairy installations come on line. Newtrient is aware of four Dairy installations currently utalizing Ag-Grid for their services.
1. OPERATIONAL HISTORY