Agricultural Digesters LLC – Anaerobic Digester
INCLUDING SMALLER, AFFORDABLE, MEDIUM SIZE SYSTEMS
About the Company:
Since the success of any digester depends on a farm’s future existence, Agricultural Digesters LLC prioritizes financial benefit to each client. Their business models are “farmer owned” and “partnership” so that farmers receive the financial benefit needed to operate in the future.
Their team consists of marketing, environmental. engineering, finance and farm supply consultants. Regardless how much support is needed, when Agricultural Digesters LLC partners with a farm, it stays with that farm every step of the way.
About the Solution:
Agricultural Digesters LLC is in development, as well as marketing to, potential RNG and CHP projects of all sizes using the technology providers most suited for each farm.
At the same time it has contracted to be the exclusive representative, in Vermont and additional regions, of a new digester system for medium size farms that typically produces 50kW – 150 kW of electricity. The advantages are:
- A price attractive to farmers and lenders.
- Saves farms tens of thousands of dollars monthly, even while the loan is repaid.
- Their investors contacts can provide financial assistance. They are motivated by the return of the federal Investment Tax Credit (ITC).
- Grants from USDA and NRCS have been obtained and will continue to be in the future.
- Environmental benefits will be monetized for the farm including carbon credits and the anticipated eRINS program.
- If electricity sales to the grid bring a low price per kW, these digesters can instead supply the farm’s own power.
- The farm no longer pays for bedding and in addition has excess solids to sell to other farms as animal bedding, peat replacement, or soil amendment to plant nurseries.
- Agricultural Digesters LLC has developed a new market for used solids.
- Should the farmer decide to sell his farm in the future, this digester is an asset that increases the sale price significantly.
- Digesting and separation, combined with drag lining and injection, manages and reduces costs and phosphorus runoff.
Solution Strengths, Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
- Long usable life and can be run reliably
- Creates energy and generates environmental credits
- Proper feeding & system monitoring is required to avoid system downtime
- Proven technology for odor control
- Proven technology for GHG reduction
- Proven technology for pathogen reduction
- Different types of systems produce varying gas production rates
- Requires proper preparation of the feedstock
- Requires other technologies for energy utilization
- Requires other technologies for digestate handling
- Requires other technologies to prevent nitrogen loss
- Complex systems may require expertise not available on-farm
Agricultural Digesters LLC is a relatively new development company, just two years old. They are currently well into the development of 6 medium size digesters (150 kW) in Vermont, the first is scheduled to be launched by July 2022 followed by three more the same year. They have started work on a multi-farm RNG project in northern Vermont. In the past they have worked extensively with RCM Digesters and PlanET Biogas with multiple clients and projects done as part of these relationships. Agricultural Digesters LLC has assembled a highly experienced custom team with the following expertise: 1) Legal counsel with experienced in biogas development. 2) Grant writer (PhD) with extensive experience in anaerobic digestion. 3) Soils specialist (PhD) knowledgeable in converting digestate into a marketable products. 4) Environmental benefit specialist familiar with RINS, LCFS, Carbon Credits, and other credits. 5) Engineer with extensive national biogas experience.
1. OPERATIONAL HISTORY