Applied Environmental Solutions (AES) – KDS Separator
Water & Wastewater Technologies
Applied Environmental Solutions’ vision is to create value and environmental impact by connecting and integrating key technologies to provide cost effective and sustainable solutions.
AES’ mission is to identify critical and high-growth opportunities consistent with this vision. AES finds companies with vetted technologies that are in the market place, and ready to grow their business and becomes the catalyst that creates value for these portfolio/partner companies and its investors by providing the expertise and resources that span three continents.
AES offers the unique and revolutionary KDS multi-disc roller separator, a clog-free automatic liquid-to-solid waste separator for dewatering applications including livestock manure, municipal wastewater sludge and agribusiness processes.
The compact KDS separator features a unique self-cleaning dewatering and conveying system with oval plate separation and transfer structure that prevents clogging and permits automatic continuous operation that handles oily and fibrous material with ease. The KDS separator uses a fraction of the power of a centrifuge and no water usage during operation unlike a belt press or a screw press. For a relatively low investment cost, it offers a high performance dewatering system for dairy and swine operations.
Features of KDS Separator:
Technology Strengths, Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
Chemical flocculation technologies remove the non-dissolved particles from the waste stream typically resulting in irrigation quality “tea water”:
- Produces a clay like cake which is high in phosphorus and with significant amounts of organic nitrogen.
- Supported technologies include belt presses, centrifuges, dissolved air flotation systems and others; all requiring flocculants to achieve high rates of solids removal
- There is significant variation of chemical and energy use depending on site and by technology
- There is significant variation of operational intensity depending on site and by technology
- There is significant variation of cost depending on site and by technology
- Proven technology for nitrogen recovery, phosphorous recovery, storage reduction, GHG reduction, and odor control
The KDS Separator has an installed base in excess of 500 units (85 of these being agricultural related) primarily in Asia (Japan and Israel). A KDS Separator was piloted in Mercer County, OH in March of 2018, using chemicals, this unit was able to remove up to 70% of phosphorus from liquid dairy manure. The evaluation of those testing the equipment was that it is easy and inexpensive to operate with an estimated cost of separation approaching $0.0075/gallon (including chemicals).
- Has been successfully demonstrated in both municipal and agricultural pilots.
- Has successfully piloted at both a large swine and a large dairy operation.
- Offers a cost effective tool in the management of excessive nutrients.
- The successful dairy pilot was sponsored by the Ohio Dairy Producers.
- Operating costs in the dairy application were less than $0.01/gallon treated
- Produced a dewatered cake of 23% dryness, without the use of polymers.
1. OPERATIONAL HISTORY