Bloomenergy – Biogas Fuel Cells
Bloom Energy traces its roots to work performed by KR Sridhar, Bloom Founder and CEO, for NASA’s Mars Exploration program. Dr. Sridhar and his team built a fuel cell capable of producing air and fuel from electricity generated by a solar panel, with the vision of one day being able to support life on Mars.
They soon realized that their technology could have an even greater impact here on Earth. Their innovative energy solution could uniquely address both the causes and consequences of climate change by lowering carbon emissions and enabling energy resilience.
The stated goal of Bloomenergy is to better the planet through innovation and environmental stewardship.
Bloom’s Energy Servers can use biogas to create clean electricity. Using biogas as fuel helps reduce the impact on climate change because it prevents its release as methane, a powerful greenhouse gas, or it prevents the flaring of methane as carbon into the atmosphere.Bloom improves air quality, by generating electricity from biogas without combustion. Criteria pollutants are a class of smog-forming air pollutants regulated by the EPA, including nitrogen oxides (NOx) and sulfur oxides (SOx). Bloom’s non-combustion based fuel cells emit virtually no air pollutants, use no water during operation, use little land, and reduce or eliminate CO2 emissions. Additional details of Bloomenergy's technology include:
- Modular design to meet biomass source production
- Polishes gas to remove Sulfur, Siloxanes and other Containments
- Quick Deployment with Grid Interconnect; No Pipeline Interconnect required
- High Efficiency, Maximized Methane Destruction, No Short-Lived Climate Pollutants
- Compliant with GHG Climate Emissions Standards
- Compatible Renewable Baseload power for the Transportation and Power sectors
Technology Strengths, Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
NOTE: There are multiple technologies that are used as part of integrated manure management systems and yet are not manure management types on their own. The impact of these technologies on their own would be minimal or very difficult to quantify.
General Support & Other:
- Can be an integral part of many manure management systems
- Most projects have at least some equipment that supports operations of the main technology
- This technology is not evaluated on its own, the NEAT Matrix for this technology is neutral unless utilized with other technologies.
Newtrient will continue to work with Bloomenergy to further refine the cost and performance information as more information becomes available and as new commercial dairy installations come on line.
1. OPERATIONAL HISTORY