Figure 8 Environmental – Anaerobic Digestion
Manure separation and nutrient management for dairies.
Figure 8 Environmental designs, builds and manages manure processing systems for dairies. By engaging with Figure 8, dairies can offload their sustainability activities to a “one stop shopping” source. This helps dairies to stay compliant with environmental regulations for carbon footprint as well as nutrient and wastewater compliance.
Figure 8 Environment connects all of these issues and creates a complete ecosystem for profitability. Here’s what their system can provide:
- Immediate Large Particle Bedding Recovery
- Reduction in Phosphorus, Salt and Nitrogen Loading in Flush Water Irrigation
- Quick Flush Clarification, Reuse and Avoidance of Fines
- Nutrient Extraction and Recovery
- Energy Production
- Purchasing of Byproducts From Dairies for Additional Income
Figure 8 Environmental provides a manure management system called CLARA. CLARA removes over 90% of total suspended solids from irrigation flush water, allowing for the treated water to be recycled back through your flush system. It also can substantially reduce lagoon size requirements by 100% and eliminate the need for yearly clean-up, separation pits and future clean-ups. Their process also reduces Nitrogen field loading in irrigation flush water by over 50% and reduces Phosphorus field loading in irrigation flush water by 60%.CLARA removes over 90% of total suspended solids from irrigation flush water allowing for its use in drip and pivot irrigation systems. This process also removes over 85% of volatile solids from flush water immediately reducing methane generation potential. Their approach aims to separating manure solids faster and more efficiently which creates a rich nutrient solid that is more manageable and profitable for retail and commercial sale.
Technology Strengths, Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
- Long usable life and can be run reliably
- Creates energy and generates environmental credits
- Proper feeding & system monitoring is required to avoid system downtime
- Proven technology for odor control
- Proven technology for GHG reduction
- Proven technology for pathogen reduction
- Different types of systems produce varying gas production rates
- Requires proper preparation of the feedstock
- Requires other technologies for energy utilization
- Requires other technologies for digestate handling
- Requires other technologies to prevent nitrogen loss
- Complex systems may require expertise not available on-farm
Newtrient will continue to work with Figure 8 Environmental to further refine the cost and performance information as more information becomes available and as new commercial dairy installations come on line.
1. OPERATIONAL HISTORY