GEA Houle – Decanting Centrifuge
Engineering for a better world
About the Company:
GEA is a worldwide leader in milking, manure, and livestock housing equipment solutions. They are dedicated to saving producers time, labor and money through increased efficiency, management assistance information and leading-edge technology. As an integrated group, GEA strives to meet the needs of all farm sizes and management styles, enabling maximum profitability and opportunities for future growth.
About the Solution:
The waterMaster decanter from GEA is a continuously operating centrifuge with horizontal solid-wall bowl developed specifically for the requirements of dewatering industrial and municipal sewage sludge. The frame is of open design with gravity discharge of the clarified phase.
Solution Strengths, Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
Centrifuge Technologies remove the non-dissolved particles from the waste stream typically resulting in a lower solid liquid that will not plug equipment or irrigation quality “tea water” depending on whether the technology is used with or without polymer:
- Produces a stackable solid which is high in phosphorus and with significant amounts of organic nitrogen.
- There is significant variation of energy use depending on the site and by technology
- There is significant variation of operational intensity depending on site, use of polymer, and by technology
- There is significant variation of cost depending on site, use of polymer, and by technology
- Can be used with or without polymer. Recovery rates and impact on critical indicators are better when used with polymer.
- Proven technology for nitrogen recovery, phosphorous recovery, storage reduction, GHG reduction, and odor control
Suspended solids/phosphorus recovery technologies:
- Produces a concentrated source of phosphorus from a renewable source
- Include belt presses, centrifuges, dissolved air flotation systems and others
- There is significant variation of chemical and energy use by site and by technology
- There is significant variation of operational intensity by site and by technology
- There is significant variation of cost by site and by technology
GEA Houle has several decanting centrifuges installed and operating successfully on dairy farms around the U.S. Decanting centrifuge technology is most suited for fine solids and phosphorus recovery. In some cases, polymers are added to the manure to increase solids recovery. Given the high speed operation of decanting centrifuges, users should careful consider the energy and maintenance costs when evaluate the technology.
Newtrient will continue to work with GEA to further refine the cost and performance information as more information comes in with new commercial dairy installations.
1. OPERATIONAL HISTORY