HoSt Bioenergy Systems – Agricultural Biogas Plants
BIOGAS FROM ALL AGRICULTURAL RESIDUAL FLOWS
About the Company:
HoSt Group, a large family company, came into existence in 1991 resulting from a joint venture between Holec Projects and Stork, two well-established suppliers of energy systems. HoSt has grown in the field of bioenergy technology, transforming waste into renewable energy and valuable end-products. They engineer, build, and maintain bioenergy systems producing sustainable energy and valuable end-products from residual streams, driving the biggest challenge of our generation: the energy transition.
Their team of over 375 employees, spread across 7 countries and with offices in the US and Europe, is committed to technological solutions and innovations for renewable energy worldwide and is dedicated to achieving sustainability ambitions.
HoSt has built over 400 bioenergy systems in more than 40 countries of which the oldest facilities have now been running for more than two decades and are still operational. As a company they function as a one-stop-shop in terms of technology portfolio scope where, alongside the building of facilities, they also offer 24/7 service and maintenance and renewable energy as a service for heat, electricity, and renewable gases.
About the Solution:
HoSt is a global player in the supply of turnkey agricultural biogas plants, also known as farm scale biogas plants. HoSt has supplied a large number of agricultural biogas plants for the anaerobic digestion (AD) of manure and agricultural products (e.g. corn, straw and grass) in combination with waste from the food industry. The HoSt agricultural biogas plants are suitable for any agricultural residual flow.
Unique about a biogas plant supplied by HoSt, is the large flexibility for a broad range of biomass streams. The use of a flexible input system and an intensive paddle mixing technique in combination with special propeller mixers makes it possible to:
Solution Strengths, Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
- Long usable life and can be run reliably
- Creates energy and generates environmental credits
- Proper feeding & system monitoring is required to avoid system downtime
- Proven technology for odor control
- Proven technology for GHG reduction
- Proven technology for pathogen reduction
- Different types of systems produce varying gas production rates
- Requires proper preparation of the feedstock
- Requires other technologies for energy utilization
- Requires other technologies for digestate handling
- Requires other technologies to prevent nitrogen loss
- Complex systems may require expertise not available on-farm
HoSt has recently been added to the Newtrient catalog. Newtrient will continue to work with HoSt to further refine the cost and performance information on their solution. Newtrient will update this entry as more information becomes available and as new commercial dairy installations come online.
1. OPERATIONAL HISTORY