Interra Global – H2S Removal
Specialty Chemical Provider
Interra Global provides customers around the world with material sourcing solutions. Their team is dedicated to meeting the unique material sourcing requirements of customers and providing the highest level of customer service and support.
They believe choosing the right supplier is more than finding the lowest price. Quality and consistency are at the top of the list when determining who can meet their standards and your high expectations.
Reducing Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S) is a critical step in turning livestock waste into biogas. Dairy, beef, swine, and poultry manure can all release methane into the atmosphere once expelled. Methane gas can be captured during the process of anaerobic digestion; however, it cannot be used immediately after digestion because it contains trace contaminants – one of them being hydrogen sulfide. Multiple steps must be taken to transform the gas from livestock waste into a useable form of biogas, a key one is to remove the H2S.
FerroSorp®, H2S Removal Media supplied by Interra Global, easily removes Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S) from a gas stream in dairy digester applications. For many projects, FerroSorp® can save time and money by utilizing less material and providing higher H2S removal performance.
FerroSorp® has a chemical makeup that not only captures H2S, with a small amount of oxygen it will regenerate to continue to convert the captured H2S to elemental sulfur. The sulfur is captured on the inside pores of the FerroSorp, so the pressure drop is lower than with other solutions; therefore, decreasing parasitic loads on pumps and eliminating clumping.
The removal of H2S from a gas stream can be described through the following chemical reactions:
Adsorption: 2 Fe(OH)3 + 3 H2S → Fe2S3 + 6 H2O
Regeneration: Fe2S3 + 1½ O2 + 3 H2O → 2 Fe(OH)3 + 3 S
Advantages of Interra Global’s FerroSorp®:
- High loading rates – Capable of > 45% by weight– reduces operating costs
- Works well with wet or dry gas and low oxygen applications
- Low bulk density vs competitors – Requires less weight to fill your tank, lowers freight costs
- Outlet H2S concentration < 1 ppm – Meets strict regulations
- Low pressure drop – Saves electricity
- No caking/clumping – Easier to change out, less remediation cost
- Environmentally non-hazardous – Easy disposal, no chromium 6 disposal issues
Technology Strengths, Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
NOTE: There are multiple technologies that are used as part of integrated manure management systems and yet are not manure management types on their own. The impact of these technologies on their own would be minimal or very difficult to quantify.
General Support & Other:
- Can be an integral part of many manure management systems
- Most projects have at least some equipment that supports operations of the main technology
- This technology is not evaluated on its own, the NEAT Matrix for this technology is neutral unless utilized with other technologies.
Interra Global has recently been added to the technology catalog, Newtrient will continue to work with them to further refine the cost and performance information, publishing it and updating the 9-Point score as information becomes available and as new commercial dairy installations come online.
1. OPERATIONAL HISTORY