MAN Engines – Biogas Engines
About the Company:
Since 1997 MAN Engines & Components is the primary importer and service representative of MAN engines, components and parts with responsibility for North, Central and South America. MAN Engines & Components is also the exclusive importer of industrial diesel and gas engines for construction equipment, agricultural machinery and power generation including CHP (combined heat power) application.
High quality chassis components, transfer cases and bus and heavy-duty truck axles are also part of the product portfolio. Additionally, MAN Engines & Components controls and maintains the service dealer network, with around 75 service hubs, for MAN marine engines in this territory.
About the Solution:
MAN offers low-pollution gas engines for cogeneration plants in the power range from 37 kW to 580 kW with natural gas, and from 68 kW to 580 kW with special gas (biogas, landfill gas, sewage gas). The MAN engines developed especially for the application with natural and special gas excel through their ultimate reliability and highest energy efficiency. Through their optimum combustion process they achieve best overall efficiencies in excess of 90 percent. With the wide product range of low-maintenance naturally Lambda 1-aspirated engines, the lowest emission stages can be achieved through the use of a 3-way catalytic converter.
MAN gas engines have proven themselves through their ruggedness, combined with high operation in peak-load and continuous operation, in the agricultural and municipality sectors, in hotels and hospitals, as well as in numerous other industries. The long service intervals and high service life of MAN gas engines ensure low total cost of ownership.
Solution Strengths, Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
Anaerobic Digester Associated Technology:
NOTE: There are several technology types that are used as part of an integrated manure management system that includes an anaerobic digester and are not applicable to manure management in other cases. The impact of these technologies on the critical indicators are represented as those of an entire anaerobic digester system.
- Long usable life and can be run reliably
- Creates energy and generates environmental credits
- Requires proper preparation of the feedstock
- Requires other technologies for energy utilization
- Requires other technologies for digestate handling
- Proper feeding & system monitoring is required to avoid system downtime
- Proven technology for odor control, GHG reduction and pathogen reduction
- Produce electricity for on-site use and sale to the grid with a Utility Power Purchase Agreement (PPA)
- Produce heat which is used on site to increase digester influent to proper temperature
- Proven technology for use with biogas
- Require scrubbing of hydrogen sulfide from biogas for best performance
- Require regular maintenance and monitoring
- Require specialized safety equipment
- Require a utility interconnect if power is sold to the grid
1. OPERATIONAL HISTORY