McLanahan Corporation – Hydrocyclone
About the Company:
McLanahan Corporation provides complete manure management solutions for the agricultural industry. McLanahan’s custom engineered systems help dairies minimize the challenges of manure handling with safer, simpler and smarter solutions.
About the Solution:
Hydrocyclones provide dairy and poultry producers with pre- or post-grit removal for their manure treatment or nutrient separation systems. They can also be used by Sand Separation System customers looking for higher sand recovery. McLanahan Agricultural Hydrocyclones are based on existing mining-duty technology and were first introduced to the agricultural industry in 2002. Since then, they have typically been installed with a Sand Separation System. McLanahan Hydrocyclone systems have been proven to separate an additional five to 10 percent of sand when added to an existing Sand Separation System and often boost overall sand recovery rates to 90+ percent.
When compared to sand settling lanes, Hydrocylcones require a much smaller footprint and offer lower operating and maintenance costs. One of the benefits of using Hydrocyclones for higher sand recovery is a reduction of wear and tear on downstream processes and systems. When maintenance is needed, replacing rubber-lined parts is simple.
Features / Benefits
- Removes fine sand particles that bypass a Sand Separation System
- Less wear and tear on process equipment
- Higher sand recovery means more recyclable sand and greater cost savings
- Replaceable, rubber-lined components for low-cost and simple maintenance
Solution Strengths, Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
- Used on Vacuumed/scraped manure and manure slurries with limited water addition
- Economics can be attractive depending on post-treatment and sand price
- Dairies that use sand for bedding believe that the sand improves the comfort and productivity of the milking herd
- Removal of sand particles can save significant wear in down-stream equipment
- Reusing sand form a separator for bedding can reduce farms total bedding costs
- Can increase manure volume based on the amount and source of water used for dilution
- Reused sand must be handled properly to ensure that pathogens and moisture are not reintroduced into the barn
McLanahan Corporation Agricultural Divisions' core product is its sand-manure separator (SMS). Over 100 SMS have been installed on dairy farms in the US since becoming commercially available in 1997. The McLanahan hydrocyclone can be used with the SMS to increase fine sand recovery or separately as a compact means of removing sand from systems that do not have the space or climate for a sand lane. When looking at this system the constant supply of feed to the hydrocyclone is necessary for proper operation, a self leveling sump and feed-pump system that maintains a constant flow and pressure is available and recommended for almost all installations.
McLanahan has included this technology in its offering to the dairy industry for years and Newtrient is aware of many successful installations. This is dependable, proven technology for fine sand removal. Newtrient will continue to work with McLanahan on the 9-Point Score and to refine the cost and performance information.
1. OPERATIONAL HISTORY