MTU Onsite Energy – Biogas Engines & CHP
A Powerful Boost to Your Bottom Line
About the Company:
Part of the Rolls-Royce Group, MTU Onsite Energy has been helping businesses reduce energy costs and improve profitability for more than 35 years. Our natural gas- and biogas-fueled cogeneration systems provide thermal and electrical power from a single fuel source, achieving total efficiencies exceeding 90%, along with the opportunity to sell excess power to the grid. Backed by unrivaled local support through our North American distributor network, their low emissions, high efficiency and use of alternative fuels will benefit your business and the environment for years to come.
About the Solution:
Covering the 100-2,000 kW power range, MTU Onsite Energy cogeneration systems are ideal for a wide variety of applications including Agricultural / Livestock, Data Centers, Food Processing, Commercial (office buildings / hotels / shopping centers), Greenhouses, Entertainment (casino / rec centers), Hospitals, Industrial, Government (military / prisons), School / University Campuses, Wastewater Treatment, Landfill and Utility / IPP.
Solution Strengths, Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
Anaerobic Digester Associated Technology:
NOTE: There are several technology types that are used as part of an integrated manure management system that includes an anaerobic digester and are not applicable to manure management in other cases. The impact of these technologies on the critical indicators are represented as those of an entire anaerobic digester system.
- Long usable life and can be run reliably
- Creates energy and generates environmental credits
- Requires proper preparation of the feedstock
- Requires other technologies for energy utilization
- Requires other technologies for digestate handling
- Proper feeding & system monitoring is required to avoid system downtime
- Proven technology for odor control, GHG reduction and pathogen reduction
- Produce electricity for on-site use and sale to the grid with a Utility Power Purchase Agreement (PPA)
- Produce heat which is used on site to increase digester influent to proper temperature
- Proven technology for use with biogas
- Require scrubbing of hydrogen sulfide from biogas for best performance
- Require regular maintenance and monitoring
- Require specialized safety equipment
- Require a utility interconnect if power is sold to the grid
1. OPERATIONAL HISTORY