Orbital – BioMethane
About the Company:
Since Orbital’s inception in 1984, the company has grown from a small number of engineers into a leading specialist gas engineering organization. Formed with the aim of delivering unique and comprehensive solutions within the oil and gas industry, Orbital developed innovative new technologies and diversified into new marketplaces including process, energy, environmental, petrochemical and safety.
Their experience includes large projects worth over $30 million, national and international turnkey projects/contract managements and 24/7 technical and service support.
In 2013, Orbital became part of the CUI Global group of companies, enabling it to further expand as an international organization. They currently have offices in the US, the UK, and representation in more than 40 countries.
From its inception Orbital has been involved in the control of BioMethane, or Renewable Natural Gas to grid. Their background in environmental and renewables analysis goes back more than 30 years to protecting basic landfill gas generators.
Orbital’s recognized expertise in energy measurement, process control and odorization offered a complete package that led to designing, building and instigating the very first UK BioMethane-To-Grid system.
Orbital successfully designed a durable and cost effective solution to take Methane from the Anaerobic digestion of waste, condition it and inject the resulting transmission quality gas into a pipeline. This was shortly followed by a number of high profile projects ramping up the scale and potential of this future proof energy source.
About the Solution:
Orbital provides a standalone housing (kiosk) called BtG (Biomethane to Grid) which contains:
- Supply of metering system for Biomethane.
- Supply of analytical system for Biomethane.
- Supply of telemetry system for Biomethane.
- Supply of odourant injection system for Biomethane.
- Supply of pressure reduction unit.
- Supply of control racks for Biomethane.
- Supply of all civil works.
- Standard Factory Acceptance Test (FAT).
- Standard Site Acceptance Test (SAT).
- Site installation and commission, this includes labor, accommodation and travel.
- Project management, organisation, requirements and meetings for grid connection and turn on.
- Approval, appraisal for all design disciplines.
- Validation of metering system.
- To sum up, Orbital can provide a full system from gas analysis to data configuration, and export to the Natural Gas Grid. They contribute to meetings ensuring all requirements are met for a supplier to export on to the National Gas Network.
Solution Strengths, Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
NOTE: There are multiple technologies that are used as part of integrated manure management systems and yet are not manure management types on their own. The impact of these technologies on their own would be minimal or very difficult to quantify.
General Support & Other:
- Can be an integral part of many manure management systems
- Most projects have at least some equipment that supports operations of the main technology
- This technology is not evaluated on its own, the NEAT Matrix for this technology is neutral unless utilized with other technologies.
Newtrient will continue to work with Orbital to further refine the cost and performance information as more information becomes available and as new commercial dairy installations come on line in the US. It appears Orbital Energy Group has sold their biogas development systems to nZero Group.
1. OPERATIONAL HISTORY