Quality Flow Environmental, LLC – Manure Processing System
Cost-Effective, Innovative, Complete
Quality Flow Environmental, LLC (QFE) is the creator for an innovative, patent pending process for manure management that can be customized to meet each dairy’s needs, whether it operates with an anaerobic digester or not. As a subsidiary of Quality Flow, Inc., a leader in commercial water treatment since 1984, QFE’s proprietary process separates manure into agricultural nutrients, clean water and solids. QFE will purchase processed solids from the farm, creating a valuable new and sustainable income stream for the dairy. Quality Flow Environmental is currently seeking CAFOs as early adopters who will receive preferred pricing.
QFE’s patent-pending technology can be customized to operate successfully onsite for CAFOs using lagoons or, in tandem with an anaerobic digester. A multi-step process diverts manure from lagoons and separates manure solids from its liquids. Then, using state of the art membrane filtration technology, the dairy wastewater is cleaned, recycled and the nutrients captured. The solids and liquids will be purchased by QFE and removed. This system qualifies for USDA REAP and EQIP funds.
Technology Strengths, Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
Ultra-Filtration (UF) Membrane Based Nutrient Removal technologies can be used to reduce both suspended and dissolved solids depending on location specific requirements:
- Produces low nutrient irrigation water and marketable products when paired with other technologies
- Always produce a stream leaving membrane and stream rejected by membrane
- Membranes of various size: Micro-filtration, Ultra-Filtration and Nano-Filtration each allowing various sized particles through the membrane
- Depending on the membrane, effective pre-treatment to remove coarse, fibrous solids as well as fine suspended solids are important to system viability and reliability
- Membrane failure and high pressure/energy costs can be a concern
- Proven technology for nitrogen recovery, phosphorous recovery, and pathogen reduction.
Suspended solids/phosphorus recovery technologies:
- Produces a concentrated source of phosphorus from a renewable source
- Include belt presses, centrifuges, dissolved air flotation systems and others
- There is significant variation of chemical and energy use by site and by technology
- There is significant variation of operational intensity by site and by technology
- There is significant variation of cost by site and by technology
1. OPERATIONAL HISTORY