Renewable Nutrients – Quick Wash® Phosphorus Recovery
Leading the way in nutrient recovery
About the Company:
Renewable Nutrients is led by a highly experienced executive team, backed by nationally-recognized scientists and engineers with decades of experience in waste water management, water process engineering, soil science, and policy and agency management.
Together, the Renewable Nutrients team possesses an extensive body of knowledge and experience that is specifically tailored towards developing sustainable nutrient management solutions for industry, municipalities, and agriculture.
A private, North Carolina-based company, Renewable Nutrients is a member of the Mid-Atlantic Biosolids Association, the North East Biosolids & Residuals Association, and the Water Environment Federation.
About the Solution:
Quick Wash® A proprietary system, originally developed by the USDA, that extracts and recovers phosphorus from agricultural waste streams.
Quick Wash® is effective at extracting and recovering 95% or more of the phosphorus from animal manure solids.
Originally developed by the USDA to treat poultry litter, Quick Wash® has been proven effective on multiple sources, including poultry, swine, and cow manure.
Quick Wash® lowers the phosphorus content of animal manure. This allows an agricultural operation to retain their livestock’s own manure solids for land application in the immediate vicinity, instead of shipping it long distances to remove it from area watersheds.
Removing more than 95% of the phosphorus from manure solids provides more flexibility throughout the year for land applying manure. No more need to store animal manure solids for fear of nutrient runoff.
Agricultural operations can enjoy incremental revenue opportunities by selling the recovered phosphorus and participating in nutrient credit trading. They can also sell their excess low-phosphorus manure solids as a crop-friendly fertilizer.
Solution Strengths, Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
Chemical flocculation technologies remove the non-dissolved particles from the waste stream typically resulting in irrigation quality “tea water”:
- Produces a clay like cake which is high in phosphorus and with significant amounts of organic nitrogen.
- Supported technologies include belt presses, centrifuges, dissolved air flotation systems and others; all requiring flocculants to achieve high rates of solids removal
- There is significant variation of chemical and energy use depending on site and by technology
- There is significant variation of operational intensity depending on site and by technology
- There is significant variation of cost depending on site and by technology
- Proven technology for nitrogen recovery, phosphorous recovery, storage reduction, GHG reduction, and odor control
Renewable Nutrients has not been evaluated using Newtrient's 9-point scoring process because, although their process appears to be suited for use on dairy manure, Newtrient is not aware of any current dairy based projects.
1. OPERATIONAL HISTORY