SKS Development – Project Development
Trusted Biogas Expertise
About the Company:
SKS Development creates facilities that generate biogas from organic waste, enhancing your waste management capabilities and generating recurring revenue to strengthen your core business. Their onsite, advanced anaerobic digestion facilities convert agricultural and industrial food waste into renewable natural gas (RNG) that is ready for pipeline injection.
About the Solution:
Using anaerobic digestion, SKS Developments’ facilities create carbon-negative, renewable natural gas (RNG) utilizing waste that is otherwise a byproduct of your operation. While the concept is simple, the implementation can be complex. SKS is here to navigate the process with you.
Put simply, anaerobic digestion is the production of biogas after organic materials like manure and food processing waste are broken down by bacteria in an oxygen-free environment. This process results in two valuable products – biogas and digestate. The biogas is purified to separate the methane from other inert gasses. The purified methane, or RNG, is then ready for pipeline injection while the other components, such as CO2, are captured through the filtration process. The digestate is the solid byproduct created from the anaerobic digestion process and can be used to create nutrient-rich fertilizer, livestock bedding, and other soil amendments such as compost. Additionally, SKS’ facilities help to protect waterways from runoff, returning treated water back to the site for recycling. Odors are also greatly reduced since the need for open lagoons can be minimized by directing the waste stream into airtight anaerobic digester tanks.
Solution Strengths, Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
- Long usable life and can be run reliably
- Creates energy and generates environmental credits
- Proper feeding & system monitoring is required to avoid system downtime
- Proven technology for odor control
- Proven technology for GHG reduction
- Proven technology for pathogen reduction
- Different types of systems produce varying gas production rates
- Requires proper preparation of the feedstock
- Requires other technologies for energy utilization
- Requires other technologies for digestate handling
- Requires other technologies to prevent nitrogen loss
- Complex systems may require expertise not available on-farm
SKS Development has recently been added to the Newtrient catalog. Newtrient will continue to work with SKS Development to further refine the cost and performance information on their solution. Newtrient will update this entry as more information becomes available and as new commercial dairy installations come online.
1. OPERATIONAL HISTORY