ThermChem Corporation – Thermal Processing
Converting negative/low value residues into valuable products.
Founded in 2015, ThermChem is focused on deploying scalable thermochemical conversion technologies to convert wastes/residues into valuable products.
ThermChem’s primary technology is Hydrothermal Carbonization, using temperatures and pressures to convert high moisture feedstocks into valuable products.
Technology Strengths, Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
- May produce a salable product in the form of hydrochar, a product similar to biochar
- Hydrochar does not yet have an established, stable commercial market in the United States
- There is variation of operational intensity by site and by technology, many technologies require pairing with other technologies to offer a comprehensive manure management solution
- There is significant variation of cost depending on site and by technology
- Proven technology for phosphorous recovery, storage reduction, GHG reduction, odor control and pathogen reduction but not widely adopted
- This technology may lose nitrogen to the atmosphere
Thermal process technologies:
- Produce a soil amendment in the form of biochar, ash and other products
- These products have not yet established a stable commercial market
- Include pyrolysis, torrefaction, gasification and hydrothermal carbonization
- There is significant variation in energy use and recovery depending on feedstock
- There is significant variation of operational intensity by site and by technology
- There is significant variation of cost by site and by technology
1. OPERATIONAL HISTORY