Khubeka Construction – Aeration System
Khubeka was founded in 2001 with the intent to design, sell and maintain a high volume, efficient aeration unit to clean and de-sludge wastewater holding ponds. Their aim is to support clients in maintaining environmental compliance, and effectively recycling wastewater produced through their treatment processes.
The Bio-Aire unit enhances biological activity and aerates wastewater lagoons to reduce and eliminate GHG emissions, sludge and toxic chemicals. This produces clean clear effluent to discharge safely into our freshwater sources.Bio-Aire™ was designed to allow clients to save and preserve the environment by enabling them to treat their wastewater and greenhouse gas emissions cost effectively and efficiently. The technology combines the following four principles into one unit:
- Air Pressure
- Fine Air Bubbles
- High Wastewater
- Volumes Turbulence
This Process super-saturates the wastewater with oxygen, which leads to the creation of millions of bacteria, that break down organics and volatile chemicals, and produce a safe effluent for discharge into a fresh water sources.
Technology Strengths, Weaknesses and Critical Indicators
- Primarily applicable for flush system followed by primary solids separation and within a region that has concerns regarding local odor emissions from long-term storage lagoons.
- Capital costs for the mechanical surface aerators and their platforms/electrical connections are moderate.
- Operating costs, even with limited aeration can be high due to high utility costs for continuous operation of energy intensive aerators.
- Well-researched, understood and engineered system with multiple vendor platforms available across industries, including manure treatment.
- Several types of aerators are available in the market that are suited for dairy operations.
- Specification requirements of aeration equipment and its installation depend on farm size, manure characteristics, and odor mitigation goals of that dairy farm.
Newtrient will continue to work with Khubeka to further refine the cost and performance information as more information becomes available and as new commercial dairy installations come on line.
1. OPERATIONAL HISTORY